This post may contain affiliate links. If you click these links to buy something I may earn a commission with no additional cost to you. This helps keep Aloha With Love running, thank you! Learn More.
I’ve been growing cocozelle zucchini in my backyard aquaponics system, which has provided my family with several wonderful dinners so far. The cocozelle zucchini is a slighty nutty and flavorful zucchini, which suits a panko-covered fried zucchini recipe like this one. While you can eat it as an appetizer, our family just ate it as part of our dinner, and it was delicious!
Aloha with love,
- Vegetable oil Any oil that's good for deep frying.
- Panko bread crumbs
Heat up a pot or pan of vegetable oil to medium-high. We used a small pot that could only fit about 4 large slices of zucchini at one time. The zucchini cooks fast and you waste less oil with this method.
Slice the zucchini to about a one-centimeter thickness. The insides of the zucchini should be soft and any seeds barely visible.
Dip each slice into the flour covering the surface area. Then dip it into the egg, followed by the panko.
The panko should cover both sides of the zucchini as well as the skin. You only need a very thin layer since the zucchini will cook very fast in the oil.
The oil should be fairly hot by now. You might have to play with the temperature as you add in your zucchini. Add the breaded zucchini in and flip when golden-brown.
Serve hot as an appetizer or part of your meal. You can eat this with any condiment, but we like tartar sauce.
- For this particular recipe, we used 2 large zucchini, which was great as part of our dinner for our family of four.
- You can use tartar sauce (recipe below), ketchup, mustard, malt vinegar, or even katsu sauce (my Mom’s favorite).
- ½ c mayonnaise
- 1 tsp finely chopped onion
- 1½ tbsp relish
Support Aloha With Love:
Do you like what I’m doing and looking for ways to support this blog and my work? Here’s how you can help:
- Hawaii app: Download the Oahu, Maui, Big Island, and Kauai GPS audio tours straight to your phone for a budget-friendly storytelling guide to Hawaii’s history, culture, and sights.
- Book activities: Use these links to book your tours at Aloha With Tours (my personal favorites) or Hawaii Activities (all tours).
- Life in Hawaii: If you have a business, group, or activity that you think matches the theme of Aloha With Love, let me know! I’d love to hear about what you do and find ways to collaborate. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do more: Like many things in Hawaii, this blog relies on word-of-mouth. Please share, comment, and subscribe to stay in touch. Thank you!
Real. Local. Non-touristy. Hawaii Travel & Things To Do In Hawaii.
My emails will make you smile!
I'm all about living life in Hawaii with passion, honesty, and respect. So if you like Hawaii travel, legal hikes, authentic experiences, and a kind and humble personality, I'm your local girl!
You'll love reading my fun and down-to-earth emails from a local perspective. I'll send you my personal tips, travel suggestions, and DIY project ideas that are perfect for Hawaii living.
Sign up below and you'll be added to my email list!